124 N. Catherine Street, Pickens, SC 29671
|Mon & Thurs||10:00am - 8:00pm|
|Tues, Wed, & Fri||10:00am - 6:00pm|
|Sat||10:00am - 4:00pm|
Early in 1937, the Pickens Branch was started in Dr. J. L. Valley's office waiting room with donated books in a bookcase. The books were circulated by the Doctor's receptionist.
This continued through most of the first year until a small building
was donated to the Town of Pickens. This building was to be used as
a library and as a Relic Room by the local D.A.R. Chapter. The building
was given by the Appalachian Lumber Company and it was later moved
to the Court House Square. In the fall of 1937 the name, Village Library
was chosen for the town library and the cost of membership subscription
was set at $1.00 a year. In the early 1940's the Village Branch moved
to a larger building which was vacated when the city offices moved
into a new location. In 1967, a lot on the northeast corner of West
Main Street and Florence Street was purchased from the Cox Family.
Excavation for a new library building began in the spring of 1972
and on November 22, 1974, it opened.
As time passed the library's circulation increased and the need for expansion became apparent. Pickens County purchased the old Dillard Funeral Home in 1990. After funds were secured, design and renovation began. In the summer of 1992 the new branch opened. The Village Branch is located at 124 North Catherine Street in Pickens. It has 8,200 square feet and is open 50 hours per week.